Choices were limited for the Seattle resident seeking to take up this new game that had become suddenly popular. There was a long waiting list for membership at the Seattle Golf Club. Tacoma Golf Club (1894) and Everett Golf and Country Club (1910) were too far, and Jefferson Park, where some 100,000 rounds per year was being played, too congested. A group consisting of mostly Seattle businessmen first met in 1918 to organize a new golf club in the Seattle area. Charles A. Reynolds, a prominent Seattle attorney and later judge, led the organizing effort. Reynolds, who served as the president of the Jefferson Park Golf Club, would be named the first president of Rainier Golf and Country Club. The group spent six months that year scouting for suitable land. They eventually settled on a 107-acre property owned by Mrs. Christine Beals off Des Moines Road on the southern outskirts of the city. On February 11, 1919, the group met and gave the club its name, Rainier Golf and Country Club, an easy choice given the view of the great mountain from several vantage points on their newly acquired land. The club formally organized on March 11, 1919. The organizing committee wasted no time in setting out to build a golf course. They had already selected Robert Johnstone, club professional at the Seattle Golf Club, to lay out the course. Johnstone, a transplanted Scotsman from North Berwick, was considered the foremost authority in the Northwest on all matters related to golf. By the March 11 meeting, Johnstone had presented to the club the design for the full 18 holes. Construction of the course soon followed. On May 18, 1919, members of the new Rainier Golf and Country Club held its first organized event, a picnic, to celebrate the start of the course construction. On September 26, 1920, the nine-hole course formally opened with an inaugural tournament. The course conditions were still rough and the best score turned in that day was an 85 for two loops around the course. On opening day, there were 225 members paying the $5 monthly dues. The temporary clubhouse was a small structure which would later be used as a caddie shack and maintenance building. Work on the second nine began immediately. Almost simultaneously, beyond the north end of Seattle, the Inglewood Golf Club (est. 1919) also formed. Inglewood too hired Robert Johnstone and A. Vernon Macan, as their golf architects. These two clubs, virtual twins in their Continued on page 16 Charles A. Reynolds Robert Johnstone A.V. Macan MAY 2019 | GOLF WASHINGTON 15