Back to all posts

113th Pacific Northwest Men’s Amateur – Quarterfinal Wrap-Up

The quarterfinal matches of the 113th Pacific Northwest Men’s Amateur Championship were held this morning at Palouse Ridge Golf Club in Pullman, Wash.

Bayley vs. Hatch:

The most compelling match of the quarterfinals was the morning’s first. Derek Bayley of Rathdrum, Idaho, an incoming freshman at Washington State University, faced Christopher Hatch of Mukilteo, Wash. at 7:30 a.m.

The two halved the first four holes and appeared to be locked in a tight battle, but Hatch proceeded to take four of the next five holes. Three bogeys from Bayley and a birdie on No. 9 allowed Hatch to make the turn 4-up.

Bayley, who has shown confidence on the back nine all week, turned things around when he absolutely needed to. He won four of the next five holes to bring himself back into the match. Hatch regained the lead with birdie on No. 15, but dropped No. 16 with bogey. Bayley offered a bogey back to Hatch on the 17th, and Hatch found himself 1-up standing on the 18th tee.

Bayley showed more of the resiliency he needed, bringing the match AS with a birdie to take the match to extra holes. Bayley ended the match on the 20th hole, making an impressive match-stopping eagle to Hatch’s par, and advancing to the semifinals.

Madey vs. Kern:

Cole Madey of West Linn, Ore. was up against yesterday’s comeback artist Charles Kern of Mercer Island, Wash. Madey, who knocked his older brother Clayton out of the Round of 16 yesterday had his help this morning, with Clayton on the bag for Cole. Cole made quick work of Charles Kern, defeating him 6 and 4, saving his legs for the semifinal afternoon match against Derek Bayley. Madey won five of his holes with par against the struggling Kern.

Reimers vs. Wu:

Hans Reimers of Lake Oswego, Ore. and 2013 runner-up ran into the buzz saw of Wu’s hot putter in their quarterfinal match. Wu, of Medford, Ore., made four clutch birdies down the stretch to come back from two down at the turn. He made three in a row on 13, 14, and 15 and won the match 2 and 1.

Beale vs. Kumpula:

James Beale of Auckland, New Zealand squared off with Conner Kumpula of Albany, Ore. in the final match of the quarterfinals. Beale won the first hole of the match with a par, but the two halved the next six holes. Kumpula, who found himself one down at the turn, made an eagle 3 on the par-5 10th.

Par won the hole six times in their match, and the two found themselves heading to extra holes after Kumpula made birdie from out of a fairway bunker on No. 18. In the first extra hole, Beale found himself with a brutally buried lie in a greenside bunker, with Kumpula safely on the green in regulation. Beale made a spectacular play from sure death, and nearly holed the shot for birdie. Kumpula three putted, and Beale’s tap-in par saw him into the semifinals.